Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Swing of things

WY I Run..."The greatest achievement is to outperform yourself." -Denis Waitley

I am still playing catch up, but I promise I will get there. Hopefully by tomorrow.

As I recovered from jet lag and such, I jumped back into my routine and workouts and 'oh boy' did it feel good. Nothing like a worry free and eclectic vacation to make running routine and eating lots of vegetables feel so good.

Mon: 8 Miles off the plane. Hard to get out, but once I was running, I felt good.

Tue: 3 mile w/u, 8 x (30 seconds uphill @ 5:50 (mile pace) effort, jog back rest, 75 sec hill sprint @ 6:20 (5k pace) effort, walk/jog down rest), 2 mile c/d. My paces for the hill sprints were more like 6s and 6:40s but that lung burning push felt so good. I did this one at 3 a.m. to hop on the plane back to WY.

Wed: Swim and Easy 6 Miles which eased me back to the altitude

Thurs: And the snow and ice arrives. What was supposed to be an intricate track workout turned into an easy 10 Miles on treadmill. Is this what my winter is going to be? I don't know if I can handle it. The treadmill gives me nightmares and I feel like it is harder to push paces on that thing and miles take forever.

Fri: 9 Miles: 1 mile easy, 6 miles steady pace (7:10 - 7:30 pace), 6 x 5 sec explosive hill sprints 1 mile easy-  I had to wait until the afternoon due to the snow and the ice, but besides the looming workout, it went awesome and felt super comfortable maintaining these paces. Why doesn't this happen on the treadmill?

Saturday: 15 mile long run w/8 x 60 sec surges @ 6:20 pace w/5min easy pace btwn starting at mile 8. I wasn't able to to the surges like I would have hoped because of ice, but had a glorious run with my friend Ann where the miles flew by as we caught up.

Sunday: 8 Miles in the snow as Adam and I ran side by side with our respective ipods on and then talked for the last miles. Sometimes, it is just nice to have someone close by to run with. I told him all about my podcasts. I am sure he loved it.

I am have been listening to Competitor.com podcasts which interview individual athletes. These have been so inspiring, between Ryan Hall and Chrissie Wellington, -10 degree runs don't seem as bad.

Other highlights from last week included a much needed Kathleen Chopping massage (too much sleeping on planes)-- you can reach her at 307-332-4696

Organizing my room and putting away my clothes from the trip

A date to the Lander Valley Nutcracker-- one of the highlight of my year

A trip to the coffee shop in Lander, called Old Town for first time where Adam and I chatted with Curtis for a while and stopped in at the Lander Arts Craft Fair.
                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment